Monday 5 May 2014

DE4106: Game Design Models: Structure Representation - Mind-Map

I have been giving more thought about how best to present my game design model in a visual sense, seeing as most of my research and subsequent findings are designed to guide designers to create visual material. I have come to the conclusion that I do not believe I will be able to represent the model (with every bit of detail required) in a single diagram. I am now leaning towards a type of User-Guide which I can make visually rich by the use of diagrams and other images to illustrate various points.

However, this being said, I do believe I am able to construct a mind-map that represents the various 'elements' that make up a game and how they are all interdependent on each other to make the game whole. Below is the original rough sketch-up I made of this mind map, followed by a neater version I created using PowerPoint. I have also evolved this mind-map from the initial flow chart diagram I produced a couple of weeks ago (this can be found elsewhere on my blog):

Fig 1. Initial sketch-up of a mind-map displaying the inter-dependent relationships of individual game design elements (Shorrocks, 2014).


Fig 2.  Mind-map displaying the inter-dependent relationships of individual game design elements (Shorrocks, 2014)

To read the diagram, start at the Start element (connected to Plot / Theme / Narrative) and work your way through. You should be able to think of any video game and relate its various elements to the mind-map. Please let me know if you come across any exceptions!

The white connecting lines display the inter-dependent links between each element. The red connecting lines show those interdependent relationship which are not universal in all games.

The various elements share the same titles as those I have added to my guide that you can find elsewhere on my blog (development is on-going). Further detail on each element can be found within this guide. The guide itself is being tailored and gives consideration towards Exploration games, but the mind-map itself should be universal to all genres.

The mind-map is split between visual and the mechanical design elements. I drew inspiration from Jesse Schell here, from his inspiration book The Art of Game Design (2008) where he provides the following diagram that shows the game elements that are more and less visible to the player:

Fig 3. The Relationship between Game Elements (Schell, 2008)

The mind-map also drew inspiration from another diagram (Fig 4.) found in The Art of Game Design (2008) that focuses on the overall design process from initial concept through to player experience. The differences between the diagram I have created to Schell's diagram, is that mine focuses more of the various game elements as they work within the game, without including the player's experience and as much detail in regards to direct player interaction.


Fig 4. Designer, Game and Player Interaction Mind-Map (Schell, 2008)


References:



Fig 1. Shorrocks, J., 2014. Initial sketch-up of a mind-map displaying the inter-dependent relationships of individual game design elements. [Diagram] (UCLan).

Fig 2. Shorrocks, J., 2014. Mind-map displaying the inter-dependent relationships of individual game design elements. [Diagram] (UCLan)

Fig 3. Schell, J., 2008. The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses. New York: CRC Press. [Diagram]

Fig 4. Schell, J., 2008 The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses. New York: CRC Press. [Diagram]

No comments:

Post a Comment